Advent always starts on the fourth Sunday before Christmas (so it always falls between November 27 and December 3), and ends on Christmas Eve. Doing a devotional during Advent is a powerful and joyful way to help prepare your heart as you remember the true reason for the season, the birth of Christ our Savior.
- Good News of Great Joy (free): John Piper and the team at Desiring God compiled this advent devotional. Good News of Great Joy: Daily Readings for Advent contains 25 short devotional readings beginning December 1 and going through Christmas Day. This book of Advent meditations aims to put Jesus at the center of your holiday season. These readings are excerpted from the works of John Piper and correspond to the readings in their daily devotional Solid Joys.
- Come, Let Us Adore Him: This short devotional by Paul David Tripp will help you slow down during the busy Christmas season and focus on what matters most: adoring our Savior, Jesus. At the end of each devotion is a section for parents and children, featuring one central theme from the Christmas story, discussion prompts, and related verses.
- Until the Son of God Appears | Advent 2018: The team at She Reads Truth and He Reads Truth have created separate advent devotionals for men and women that will walk you through the biblical anticipation of Jesus and the majesty of His arrival. With unique features like a catechism about the Son of God (with Scripture proofs), weekly Advent prayers, and an exploration of the seasons in the Church calendar (plus festive recipes and crafts), you’ll read through familiar stories in anticipation and celebration, remembering our great need and rejoicing in Jesus’s birth.
- Unwrapping the Name of Jesus (by local Northeast Ohio author, Asheritahh Ciuciu): This book begins with an interactive family devotional that equips you to celebrate Advent together. It provides five daily reflections that focus on that week’s name of Jesus and includes suggestions for fun-filled family activities or service projects.
- Knowing Him By Name | Advent Calendar (free): If you’re looking for something kid-friendly, or for resources on how you can focus on your family this season, we suggest that you visit Focus on the Family and download their free calendar and download their free devotional to count down to Christmas Day as a family. In it, you’ll get Scripture readings and devotions. If there is time, enjoy optional activities that you can do with your children to help them learn more about Jesus.
Many of the books are available electronically, so you still have time to get started before Advent! We hope that you and your family have a wonderful Christmas season. If you are looking for additional ways to celebrate the birth of Christ as a family, consider joining us all season long for our upcoming Christmas events and our Christmas Eve services on Dec. 24. See dates and times here.
Did you know? When you shop through AmazonSmile, and select Christ Community Chapel as your charity, you support CCC at no additional cost. Learn more, or use any of the Amazon links above and select Christ Community Chapel from smile.amazon.com at checkout.